The sessions will take place in the Academiegebouw , Rapenburg 73, in Leiden, between 10:00 and ca. 17.00, the venue will open at 9.30. The lectures will be presented in English. Registration is free. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com if you wish to attend.
Prof. Dr. Willem van Gulik Chair and Opening
- Prof. Dr. Hideaki Ohba Keynote lecture: ‘The Relevance of Siebold’s Herbarium’
- Prof. Dr. Pieter Baas The impact of Siebold and Tokunai’s wood collections
- Prof. Dr. Harm Beukers Medicinal plants in Japan
- Shantonu Abe Chatterjee MSc Forgotten vegetables from Siebold’s time
- Dr. Daan Kok Keiga – Siebold’s painter
- Drs. Gerard Thijsse Rise and demise of Siebold’s nursery in Leiderdorp
- Dr. Gerda van Uffelen Siebold’s living plants in the 21st century
Prof. Dr. Tinde van Andel Summing-up
In 2020 it will be thirty years ago that the first Clusius symposium was organized: The Authentic Garden. Philipp Franz Balthasar von Siebold (1796 – 1866) has been of particular importance for the Hortus botanicus Leiden, Leiden University, and for Naturalis Biodiversity Center, Leiden. The jubilee year for the university, Hortus and Naturalis is an excellent reason to dedicate a symposium to Siebold’s work and heritage.